Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 4.27.2024]

Spoiler
Week 17 (April 22 - 28) - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - In honor of Earth Day (April 22), let's assemble a "green" capsule for the week. What does it mean to be "green", you ask? You tell me! Here are a handful of meanings "green" can have - 
  • Sustainable
  • "Clean" by whatever standard you want - Clean at Sephora? Natural? Non-toxic? 
  • The color - either the product itself or the packaging, or both
  • New or young
  • Other - your definition (oh, inquiring minds will want to know, so do also share your definition of green)
Or, if you have one or more products you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event, show them off with a capsule highlighting one product or all of them. A shop-your-Sephora sale-stash, if you will.  

Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 Edition of "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. OR show us what beauties you picked up during the Sephora Savings Event. Now's the time to play (or to keep playing) with that newness (and those beloved restocks) you hauled during the sale! 

Week 19 (May 6 - 12) - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Month, let's curate a capsule with one or more makeup products from AAPI owned or founded makeup brands. [NOTE: A non-exhaustive list of AAPI owned or founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below ⤵️]

Week 20 (May 13 - 19) - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule - I was inspired by the theme of this year's Met Gala, "Sleeping Beauties" - go through your stash and create a makeup capsule with beauties that have been sleeping in your stash and could use love and attention. Or, were there makeup products you picked during the Sephora Spring Savings Sale that are just now making their way to you (or that you are now getting to)? Put them in a capsule, by themselves or mix in a few "Sleeping Beauty" products. 

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule - May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with your standout or favorite products this month or products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter. 

AAPI Owned / Founded Makeup Brands
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of makeup brands founded or co-founded / owned or co-owned by Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) - the brands listed are primarily ones that offer makeup / color cosmetics.  To the extent the founder's identify cannot be determined by the brand name, his/her/their name(s) will appear in parens next to the brand name. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to their name denotes that that brand is available at Sephora.

CLE Cosmetics (Lauren Jin)
CTZN Cosmetics (Aleena Khan, Aleezeh Khan, and Naseeha Khan)
Em Cosmetics (Michelle Phan)
* Glow Recipe (Christine Chang and Sarah Lee)
Jason Wu Beauty
Kimchi Chic Beauty (Kim Chi)
* Kulfi Beauty (Priyanka Ganjoo)
Live Tinted (Deepica Mutyala)
Mango People (Sravya Adusumilli)
Meloway Makeup (Aiden Kim and Ash Kim)
One/Size by Patrick Starrr
Orce Cosmetics (Yu-Chen Shih)
Ourself (Lauren Otsuki)
Patrick Ta Beauty
Purlisse Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Seraphine Botanicals (Sylvia Phann)
The Creme Shop (Theresa and Lawrence Kim)
Tower 28 Beauty (Amy Liu)
U Beauty (Tina Craig)
Wander Beauty (Divya Gugnani)
Yensa Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Youthforia (Fiona Co Chan)

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

The DM liner is a good one. @jaaayp @danielledanielle has worn it in several of her looks; she let me know about it when I asked what she used. Now I just need to practice, practice, practice until my line looks as clean and tight as both of yours! 😍😍

@itsfi @danielledanielle 

All I hear is "low buy no buy" x76,393,881 times 🙃

I love all of your posts. They’re amazing

@RJDT, I'm learning so much from everyone here about a host of products - some I've used; others I want to pick up, and, still others that I have in my stash but haven't gotten around to. Hearing feedback from others about how an item performed for them or the tips and tricks they've shared about using a product has been super helpful. It's really so helpful to hear from folks who have used the products! 😁

Monthly makeup breakdown! Sorry if it's a little overwhelming. This is most of what was in my to-try pile this month.

Primers-

• I had the Glowish in all month and didn't use it once. Just further proof to myself that I don't use primers. 
  • The Glow Recipe drops are nice and hydrating but idk if I get the hype. Maybe it's because I have an extensive makeup routine targeted towards hydration, already. I do think it serves as a good base for makeup, though.
  • I still love the CT Flawless Filter. 

Foundation-

• The EL Foundation is good but I don't love the scent. It puts me off wearing it a little.
  • The KA skin tint has a very light coverage (think Glossier levels but a little more buildable). It does leave a nice finish and isn't overly dewy but the scent is horrible. I even emailed CS back when I bought it and they said it was normal. I wouldn't recommend it based on that.
  • The Nars is very drying on me. I need to mix it in with a hydrating foundation (or recently the new Dior glow star filter) in order to make it work for me. If you have oily skin or live in a humid climate, this might work better for you.

Concealer- 

• The Saie is nice but it needs to be set. I don't mind it because it wears a long time on me without looking dry if I do that but it's not an immediate recommendation because of it.
  • The Lawless is good but not a love. 
  • The green tint on the Espoir is good for covering up redness. It is on the thicker side so I apply on my hand and then dab lightly on spots. 
  • The Bobbi Brown is on the heavier side and the wrong shade for me, unfortunately. I bought it at a CCO and new it wasn't perfect so I only have myself to blame.

20240428_170815.jpg

Face-

• The travel compact has Hourglass Transluscent Veil powder in it. It a recent fan, even though I rarely powder my face. This one is a hit for me. 
  • The SC face palette is very good and good quality. However, I just don't feel motivated to reach for it so it might get passed on.
  • The Bobbi Brown cream duo is good but not a love. 
  • I like the Nudestix blushes, both the matte and the dewy, as well as the highlighter. I just don't reach for them often. They're older in my collection at this point (and look it) but I would still recommend them as they have a reliable formula and don't go bad quickly.
  • The KA sticks are good and blend out well but they're expensive and aren't like wow for me. For the price, I think I'd go for Westman Atelier.
  • The CT proves to me that I just don't really love a liquid formula. It's very pretty but I just don't reach for it.

20240428_170941.jpg

Eyes & brows- 

• Although I try to switch up my eyeshadow palette every day, these ND minis stood out to me in the fact that they are awesome but I don't reach for them. Part of it is that I have a lot of palettes (and a lot of ND). I would recommend both of these palettes to whoever wanted to try the ND formula. If I were a minimalist, this would be higher up in my collection. However, I do think I'll pass these on at some point to someone who can use them more and enjoy them.
  • The Kulfi liner is nice and wears well. I'm not 100% loving the color since the brown is warmer that I would usually go for but I'd like to try other shades in their line.
  • All the brow pencils are very good but my least favorite of the 3 is the TooFaced simply because it's a little softer. I wouldn't repurchase but would still recommend if you prefer something less stiff.
  • I enjoy all 3 of the brow gels. They actually keep my brows up. The white one is the Ulta, which has mixed reviews but I've had nothing but good experiences with.

20240428_171027.jpg

New products to my collection-

• I love the Basma Blush, SC powder, Dior Glow Filter, and DM blush (though I need a light hand with this shade). I would highly recommend all of these.
  • The Haus labs lippie is very good but shy of a love. I do really enjoy the colour, though. 
  • From the drugstore- The L'Oreal shade Worth It is supposed to be a dupe for CT Pillow Talk. Idk if it is, but I looove this shade. The Maybelline Plump gloss is spicy. It does give a slight plump but if you don't like spicy food, skip it. The other Maybelline gloss is a gorgeous shade, I just don't love the slighlty coconutty scent.

Missing- the Kulfi Free The Brow Volumizing & Laminating Brow Gel which I returned. It didn't hold up my brows at all. It annoyed me. The PATRICK TA Major Headlines Double-Take Crème & Powder Blush Duo Just Enough which I've raved about enough, and the Tower 28 Beauty MakeWaves Lengthening + Volumizing Mascara Drift which is an old love in a new shade. 

20240428_170710.jpg

Oh, good to know about the EL foundation @makeitup305; I have that in my bin. EL products are generally heavier fragranced to my nose but I think I was kinda hoping it would be more subdued. I have the original Double Wear foundation and suprisingly, I'm okay with the scent on it. Love the SC powder, a staple in my stash. 💖 Do you wear it as a setting powder or a powder foundation? Or both? Out of curiosity, what's your favorite or go to concealer at the moment?

@itsfi I've been using the SC powder kind of as a touch up/setting powder on areas where I think I need a little more coverage. I think this shade would be deepen my foundation too much for all over my face. I really enjoy it, though.

For concealer, since I've been trying to use my stash more, I've been all over the place. I would say my top 4 are Tarte Shape Tape, PMG, Tower 28, and ND. I would also add the GA Power Fabric but I ran out a while back and haven't repurchased it. I think they reformulated it,  right? I pick and choose depending on the coverage and finish I want. Those are all 5 stars for me. 4 stars would be the new Saie (because I HAVE to set it), LYS, and Kulfi. I'm currently trying out the Laura Mercier Real Flawless Weightless Perfecting Serum Concealer . So far a 4 but I need to play around with it some more.

@makeitup305  thanks for sharing your thoughts on all of these! I need to try and do a "to try" capsule (or a few), I have so many products I haven't tried yet!

@caitbird, jump right on in whenever you feel like it! We'd love to see what capsule you put together and your thoughts on the products as you put them to a wear test - always great to learn what in your capsule was a product that you loved or liked, or thought was "on top" for the week and which ones you wonder if you should declutter, or put on the "chopping block"! That would make a perfect capsule for next week, or, really, any week.

Week 17: The "Green" Makeup Capsule - Days 4 & 5

Day 4 - Green = Clean at Sephora 🍃, the packaging color 💚, and my favorite take on green for this week's capsule theme, green = "now I have less green in my wallet 💸😂 

17 - Green - Day 4.jpg

I really liked this group of makeup products! I'll tag them in the spoiler. I posted more detailed thoughts to the product at Re: Makeup Challenge of the Week

Spoiler
🐐  Armani Beauty Luminous Silk Perfect Glow Flawless Oil-Free Foundation 
🛍  Dior Forever Glow Maximizer Longwear Liquid Highlighter 014 Rosy 
🌅  Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Hue Drops Sun Glow Serum 1.35 oz / 40 mL (sample)
🌺  SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Multi-Use Hydrating Glow Concealer 26 Peach 
👁  #SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black 
🌻 Natasha Denona Biba All Neutral Eyeshadow Palette Full Size Biba Neutral Eyeshadow Palette - (part of the Pan It! - 2024 Challenge ) - it's in the SEPHORA COLLECTION Reusable Travel Jar Set - I scooped out a few shadows, including the shade: prairie that I'm trying to hit pan on. I've been mixing the colors together for my own customized shade - it helps me to like prairie more.
🍃  LAWLESS Skin-Smoothing Talc-Free Perfecting Powder 
💋  Yves Saint Laurent YSL Loveshine Lip Oil Stick 203 Blushed Mallow 

Day 5 - Green = The "This is why I have less green in my wallet 💸💸💸" Green Makeup Capsule 🤣 (oh yeah, one of these items is Clean at Sephora, too! Ha!)

17 - Green - Day 5.jpg

This is the capsule I've been waiting to use. I've amused myself with my take on "green" with this one. 😅 There's probably just one product here that meets one of the two themes for the week and that is all good - I get in that one or more product and even if I didn't, all good too. I've been having a blast seeing what everyone is putting together and hearing about how their thoughts on the different items used.

Spoiler
COMPLEXION:
* Chanel Ultra Le Teint Ultrawear All Day Comfort Flawless Finish Foundation - lightweight consistency, demi matte finish, coverage is medium, but is buildable
* Armani Beauty Power Fabric + Longwear Matte Concealer - an OG for me and a fabulous one at that. Blends beautifully, covers blemishes and dark circles, lasts all day,  without creasing or looking cake
* Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Hyper Finish 24H Multi-Use Natural Matte Powder 1 - finishing powder, satin matte finish, good blurring effect. The powder I have is shade 2 but it doesn't seem to populate for tagging. Wondering if Sephora will get all shades? 🤔
* Gucci Brume de Beauté Beauty Mist 2.7 oz / 80 mL  (🐐) - this keeps my skin hydrated throughout the day and it really melds well with makeup. 😍 This is my third bottle, so you could say that I'm a fan. lol

EYES:
* Armani Beauty Eye Tint Long-Lasting Liquid Eyeshadow works well on its own or as a base, which is what I did here. A sales associate I work with from time to time had mentioned how great these were a year or so (?) ago but I didn't pick it up until after seeing @Samtian post a look with and talk about it
Chanel Les 4 Ombres Eclat de Nuit 268 Quad- a smokey eye look can be an overwhelming look for me. The shadows in this palette are easy to blend, making it easy for a quick, soft smokey eye
* Valentino Twin Liner Gel and Liquid Eyeliner 01 Black and Nero - I recently had an opportunity to have my makeup done and I took it. As the woman in the chair next to me said "we have to treat ourselves sometime." This lasted all day - I'm sure much of that was do to the professional application, but I was impressed. I'm still learning to work with this one but it's got good staying power
* Dior Diorshow Iconic Waterproof Mascara Extreme Black - one of the mascara I consider tops and that has been repurchased from time to time. 

CHEEK:
* TOM FORD Soleil Glow Bronzer 02 Terra - cool toned, matte finish. It's on the sheer side which I don't mind as I'm more on the fair side and don't mind doing a little more work to build up the color. This will work best for those with fair / fair-to-light complexions and who prefer a soft, sheer, subtle wash of bronze
* Dior Forever Glow Maximizer Longwear Liquid Highlighter 014 Rosy (🛍) is a beauty. I was doing fairly well with not picking up any of these new Dior liquid highlighters, but, in the end, literally, on the last day of the sale I think, resistance was futile - it's a pretty 2-in-1 blush and highlighter. A little goes a long way, I need just a teeeeeeensy, tiiiiiiiiny dab of color. And then, blend, blend, blend...

LIPS
* Westman Atelier Lip Suede Lipstick Palette Les Nudes - part of this year's Pan It! Challenge - it's gotten a harder to reach for it now that I hit pan on that lightest shade (I used it solely as a primer); that's not becuase I don't like the colors remaining because I do - I'm just trying to make my way through more of my lip stash. At least to set aside the ones that are in that "do I keep it or do I let it go?" camp.

Waxing Poetic: When I first thought about doing this challenge, I somehow thought that I'd get to what would be an ultimate makeup capsule for myself through process of elimination or decluttering, and, that's not to say that that isn't happening because it is, but I'm also finding myself discovering (or rediscovering) products that I know I absolutely want to have in my stash, and that has been a lot of fun. I've also come across things I might not have otherwise known about, thanks to all of you (but says my wallet: "yeaaah, thanks to all of you!" 😏) as well as some tips and tricks, and other ways to use or to repurpose products. Thank you, BIC!

@itsfi I love your take on "green". Definitely lots of green on it's way out after the sale. I was also a casualty of the Dior Maximizer at the end of the sale. I got Nude and now I want Pearl. They're just so gorgeous!

We held on for a while, didn't we @makeitup305?! Ooooh, Nude is a great shade and ahhh, pearl! 😍 I'm just going to say it, because I would eventually Dior should do a mini coffret of all of the shades for the holidays, a vault if you will, plus a special edition shade for the holiday. Just sayin' ... 

Thank you! I wanted to have some fun with the "green" theme. I like a lot of products from clean beauty brands and I like a lot of products from clinical brands and luxe brands too. At the end of the day, they all cost me 💸💸 and now I have a way to get them all into my capsule. 😂🤣😂 

@itsfi a bundle would be great. I need to see Pearl in person because by all accounts it's quite sparkly but I'm still tempted. 

@itsfi @Samtian I've been putting the Armani liquid shadows in and out of my cart for so long.  It's so nice to hear real people reviews!  I'm adding it to my mental list for the next sale!  So many of their shades look like they'd be great one and dones!

Fi, I'm also happy to hear the review on the YSL powder.  Like @blackkitty2014 I was hoping it was going to be in stock for the spring sale.  Not that I need another powder... but it's now joing the Armani shadow on my fall sale list! 

@missjeanie, I tried to swatch the YSL powder for you and it seems that is a pretty good match for me. I picked up Shade 2. My recollection is that there is a translucent version and a Shade 1. on the fair - light end of the color range. 

Powders Lawless - YSL - SC.jpg

Powders 2.jpg

LAWLESS Skin-Smoothing Talc-Free Perfecting Powder Light has the fullest coverage of the three. The YSL powder is very finely milled. It gives good blurring effect. I have not tested the "resists sweat for 24 hours" claim. I may come up with an alternative to test that theory without having to actually wear the powderfor 24 hours or be sweating in it for all that amount of time. lol. Adding @blackkitty2014 

@itsfi While I do use a powder with coverage at times... I think translucent is going to be where I lean to.  I'm loving the words you're using here... mostly the blurring one lol.  I can't really think of a scenario where I'd need to wear make up for 24 hours let a lone while sweating for those 24 hours.  My odds of falling into some kind of real life action movie sequence are pretty low these days. 

Thx you for the swatches @itsfi 🌹 I’m eyeing YSL translucent and shade 1 as well. Though I need to look into Lawless too 😘

@missjeanie I'd collect more if I used single shadows more haha. What colors are you thinking about?!

@Samtian I want to say Shell, Rose and Halo were the ones I was eyeing up... I'm a fan of a 'one and done' eye look, so if they work well they could be a staple product for me.  I feel like I love to look at palettes but I end up using a small hand full of shades and usually only one or two at a time on a day to day basis.  

Oh man so many goodies to try on @itsfi . I’m waiting for that YSL powder to launch during the sale but it never did. Next sale then lol 😂 PS your luxe items look really good. I need to be more selective liked you 😘

@blackkitty2014, thank you. Hard to resist the luxe items, but I’m trying to get better at it, with everything, not just luxury products. And trying to be better at using them for more then just a few uses. You’re so good with that. Love seeing all your pan items and empty full size luxe makeup products. 😍#inspirational 

Ahhh, the YSL powder!!! I hesitated at first, because I don’t have a lot of luck with finding a good shade match for their base products other than their concealer pen. But the powder seems more forgiving. I like this one, and am glad I picked it up when it launched (though I would have liked it more if I got it on sale, lol). I may get the translucent one later, and maybe try a bronzer. Have you tried YSL’s bronzers? 

Conversation Stats
Photos289
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1
  • Week 1 - Workday 2